My Type 2 Diabetes Book Got Published
I have some exciting news to share – I wrote a book and it got published! It’s called The Type 2 Diabetic Cookbook & Action Plan: A Three-Month Kickstart Guide for Living Well with Type 2 Diabetes. And it’s on the Amazon Best Sellers in Type 2 Diabetes. As a certified diabetes educator, I’m passionate about helping people
with diabetes learn how to manage their condition through diet and lifestyle. I wrote this book for people who are newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and don’t really know where to start. This diagnosis can be confusing … and shocking, so many people turn to Dr. Google for info. Well, we all know the internet isn’t always the best place to get nutrition information! Do you need to avoid all carbs? What about fruit? Wine? How many carbs a day should you eat? This book is a 3 month guide for what to do when you first get diagnosed with diabetes. You’ll get accurate info on nutrition and lifestyle for diabetes as well as meal plans and delicious recipes developed by the co-author Michelle Anderson.
Diabetes has been called an emerging epidemic and it’s estimated that as many as 1 in 3 American adults will have diabetes by 2050. Currently, 29.1 million adults has diabetes with the majority (90-95%) having type 2 diabetes. Despite these scary stats, the good news is that diet and lifestyle can control blood sugar and greatly reduce risk of diabetes-related complications. And just as important, it can help prevent diabetes from occurring in the first place! While this book is not geared towards those prediabetes, the meal plans and recipes could be helpful for this condition as well.
Here is a breakdown of what’s in my Type 2 Diabetes Book:
- Month 1: Learn the basics of a healthy diet and how foods affect your blood sugar and overall health. Get the lowdown on carbohydrate counting and the glycemic index/load. Best of all, use the very clear instructions for two weeks of meal plans – including very detailed shopping lists
- Month 2: Focus on physical activity and stress management, as they play key roles in blood sugar management. Get more details on nutrition, mindful eating, and weight loss tips. Stock your kitchen and get ready to prepare diabetes-friendly meals
- Month 3: Get practical tips for dealing with diabetes mentally and emotionally. The tips include guidance for social situations, dining out, and troubling moments, as well as other support.
Meal plans & recipes
Half of the book contains nutrition and lifestyle information for type 2 diabetes and the other half is filled with delicious recipes developed by the co-auhor. You’ll find 2 weeks of meal plans for 3 different calorie levels: 1500 calories, 1800 calories and 2100 calories. You’ll get recipes, grocery lists, and snack ideas. The nutritional content, including carbs (of course!) will be given out for all meals. All of my meal plans come out to about 40% carb. Now keep in mind that meal planning for diabetes is very individualized. Some people prefer a lower carb level than what I have in my book. That’s easy – double up on the veggie dish and omit (or have a smaller portion) of the grain dish. The same goes for calories. Some smaller or inactive people may need only 1200 calories. You can just cut back on portions or omit a snack to get to this level.
The recipes are broken down into:
- Balanced Breakfasts (25 choices including Wild Mushroom Frittata, Baked Berry Coconut Oatmeal, Fruity Avocado
- Poultry Mains P (12 choices including Ginger Citrus Chicken Thighs, Juicy Turkey Burgers, Tantalizing Jerk Chicken)
- Pork, Lamb, and Beef Mains (12 choices including Orange-Marinated Pork Tenderloin, Homestyle Herb Meatballs, Traditional Beef Stroganoff)
- Fish and Seafood Mains (10 choices including Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta, Salmon Florentine, Sole Piccata)
- Meatless Mains (10 choices including Chickpea Lentil Curry, Roasted Tomato Bell Pepper Soup, Vegetarian Three-Bean Chili)
- Vegetable Sides (2 choices including Sesame Bok Choy with Almonds, Horseradish Mashed Cauliflower, Zucchini Noodles with Lime-Basil Pesto, Spaghetti Squash with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Roasted Eggplant with Goat Cheese, Ginger Broccoli)
- Starch and Grain Sides (12 choices including Mediterranean Chick Pea Slaw, Wild Rice with Blueberries and Pumpkin Seeds, Barley Squash Risotto, Coconut Quinoa)
I’d love to you check it out. Feel free to write a review as well! You can buy it here on amazon. It is also available on kindle.
Tell me what you think about it!
I especially love problem-solving, whether it’s helping women defeat issues plaguing them for years, helping a busy executive find practical ways to get heart healthy, or providing tips to help you reverse diabetes. That’s why I’m on a constant quest to expand my knowledge by staying on top of the latest research.